The CGN SA Group consists of two subsidiaries: CGN SA and CGN Belle Epoque SA. Its shareholders (roughly 10,000) come from the private and public sectors. Its public shareholders (cantons and towns around Lake Geneva), with their majority stake (57.3%), have a decisive influence on the company’s operations. The cantons of Vaud, Geneva and Valais provide most of the investment needed to renew the fleet and balance the company’s non-profit services through a service mandate.
Structure and Aim of the Company
The group’s aim is to acquire and manage participations in any commercial, industrial, financial or real estate undertaking linked to navigation on Lake Geneva, notably through the companies CGN Belle Epoque SA and CGN SA (hereafter referred to as “subsidiaries”).
The subsidiaries, in which the group may invest, must directly or indirectly pursue one or more objectives fully or partly in line with the following goals :
- To contribute to the sustainable development of tourism in the Lake Geneva area by ensuring an attractive service along its shores;
- To develop and pursue any activity directly or indirectly linked to operating a fleet of boats (modern and historic) on Lake Geneva;
- The group may create subsidiaries in Switzerland and France.
The company’s aims are :
- To develop and manage any activity directly or indirectly linked to the operation of a fleet of boats on Lake Geneva;
- To operate a public transportation service on Lake Geneva, particularly in places where boat transport is faster or even more cost-efficient, in a global approach, than other means of transport;
- To maintain and operate the fleet, including the Belle Epoque paddle steamers, owned by CGN Belle Epoque SA, in compliance with the contract(s) concluded with the latter.
The company may :
- Carry out any financial, commercial or industrial activity, or any activity linked to movable or immovable property, directly or indirectly relating to its aims;
- Create branches or subsidiaries in Switzerland and France.
The company’s aims are :
to maintain and restore as close as possible to their original state, compatible with their operation, and to permit their navigation on Lake Geneva by the CGN SA, its eight historic Belle Epoque paddle-wheel boats (Montreux, Vevey, Italie, La Suisse, Savoie, Simplon, Helvétie and Rhône), thus maintaining a listed heritage item, as per the listing decision of the Department of Infrastructure of 9 June 2011, and contribute to the sustainable development of tourism in the Lake Geneva area.
The company does not exercise any financial, commercial, industrial or real estate activity independently or in competition with CGN SA and CGN SA Group.
It is authorised to collect funds in order to carry out its aims.
Missions of the group
CGN provides a public transportation service on Lake Geneva, in particular in places where boat transport is faster or more cost-efficient, through a global approach as opposed to other means of transport.
Development of Tourism
CGN contributes to the sustainable development of tourism in the Lake Geneva area by ensuring an attractive service to its tourist destinations.